The dream motor may be closer than you think, but there are a number of handy tips car buyers can learn to ensure the experience is less daunting.
Listowel Credit Union has compiled a list of some simple tips to help in the search.
• Starting out you should ask yourself the following questions: What is your budget? How much will it cost you to run this car, in terms of tax, insurance and fuel consumption? How much will this car depreciate?
• Never buy a car without seeing it first or having it checked over by a professional.
• Ask to see the log book and if a name is on it ask for ID to verify the seller.
• Dealers prices may often be higher than private owners, but there are certain advantages when buying from a dealer. For example the vehicle will usually be serviced recently, a warranty may be offered as well as some other additional extras.
• Online auctions such as those found on eBay are becoming more popular. Auctions carry a far greater risk, as buyers do not see the car they are bidding on.
• Remember that salesmen work on a commission basis, so they are going to be looking for a high asking price for the car they sell. Always feel you can haggle.
• Do not examine a vehicle at night time or during wet weather. You will not be able to spot scrapes and scratches that would otherwise be visible in dry conditions.
• Be brave and look under the bonnet.
• Never give out your account details if unsure. If you do and have reservation, contact your bank immediately.
Competitive car loans are available from Listowel Credit Union. To avail of a special rate car loan you will need to become a member of Listowel Credit Union. To set the wheels in motion visit www.listowelcu.ie or talk to a member of staff in the Listowel or Ballybunion office.
Loans are subject to approval. Lending criteria, terms and conditions apply. Listowel Credit Union Limited is regulated by Central Bank of Ireland.